Hotel Marquesa. This is one of the oldest hotels in town. The Canary mansion which houses it and which still retains large parts of its original structure was built in 1712 as the main home of the Valois-Cólogan family. The house provided lodging for the famous travellers and scientists with Alexander von Humboldt in 1799. In 1887 a company called Hotels and Sanatorium of the Orotava Valley leased the house and gave it the name of Hotel Marquesa [Marchioness Hotel] in reference to its owner, Laura de Cólogan Franchi, 4th Marchioness of La Candia. Nearby, other hotels, such as the Condesa and the Monopol opened immediately.
© Centro de Iniciativas y Turismo de Puerto de la Cruz