The wharf at El Penitente was Puerto de la Cruz’ last chance to keep its sea trade, whether between the Islands or abroad. At a time when the road system of Tenerife had improved markedly as a result of the building of the main road linking Santa Cruz and Puerto de la Cruz, the latter ran the risk of finally losing its importance as a port. For this reason , when King Alfonso XIII visited the Island in 1906, the most was made of the opportunity to try to convince him of the importance of expanding and improving the New Harbour. But the project was shelved. Then they thought up the idea of a wharf at El Penitente. Luis Rodríguez de la Sierra Padrón presented a project to the Ministry of Public Works to construct a wharf with its foundations on two flat-topped crags called El Rosario and El Penitente. The project was given Ministry approval on 23rd October 1910 and the first stone laid with great solemnity on 18th September 1911. However, work advanced very slowly since, apart from the fact that the funds had run out, the winter storms destroyed a large part of the work. In addition, the outbreak of the First World War slowed things further. In 1922 Ricardo José Yeoward requested permission from the Mayor to build and operate a crane at El Penitente, just as the Fyffes Company Limited had done shortly before. The idea was to speed up the loading of fruit, traditionally done by means of lighters. Finally in 1926 the Mayor Juan González Sanjuán approached the Ministry of Public Works for permission to carry out work to enlarge and reform the wharf at El Penitente, including better access, the installation of a crane and widening of the esplanade. Work started in 1928, when the then Mayor Isidoro Luz Cárpenter seized the opportunity of General Primo de Rivera’s visit to request one and a half million Pesetas to finish the work, which were finally concluded around 1930.